Wife. Mom. Sister. Daughter. Best Friend. Fotog. Pranskter. Student. Teacher. Lover of Life.

Wife. Mom. Sister. Daughter. Best Friend. Fotog. Pranskter. Student. Teacher. Lover of Life.
Taking back what's mine. Inspiring those with no time, no energy and/or no desire to exercise. A 365 Photo Blog © LeighAnn Monaghan

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 1 - Taking Back Twenty

Today is the day. Technically, I started about 10 days ago to help me gauge just how difficult this was going to be. I mean, how embarrassing would it be to start a blog like this and then puss out after a week?? Today I vow to take back the 20 minutes a day that I need to keep my sanity and waistline in check. Thinking back 20 years, the simple idea that I would be writing a blog like this at all would have been absolutely absurd. I was a skinny kid. I was athletic as a tween and normal size and weight as a young adult. Worrying about my weight was not something that I had planned on. I honestly thought that I would be a size 4/6 forever. Ha! Surprise!!!

About Me? I married at 19 (seriously, what was I thinking??? My parents claim that I would have gone through with it whether they tried to intervene or not). Then, I had my beautiful daughter, Sierra, at 21, ....made a few necessary "adjustments," started a career at 23, earned my Bachelor's Degree at 27, married Charlie (a.k.a. "Daddy") at 29 and had Lil C at 30. Yes, I was pregnant on two HUGE milestone birthdays (21 AND 30). You really should think these things through...however, thinking back, those two milestones very well may have resulted in two more siblings, so we'll just take what we have and be happy with that. After all, college tuition doesn't grow on trees!

This year, I plan to take back 20 minutes every day, from whatever I need to take it from, and invest it in myself, in my health, in my well being, in me. I deserve it. My children deserve it. My family deserves it...and I plan to document my journey in daily photos. Every day. It's My 366 Leap Year Photo Project. I will not sugar coat my journey or censor the descriptions of my thoughts or feelings. If you are offended, please either de-friend me, or block my "Taking Back Twenty" posts. I have an extremely diverse group of friends, ranging from church-builders to bar-hoppers, so, understanding that I might offend someone with each and every post is ok with me. I am generally polite and respectable by nature, however, I have been known to throw a wrench in things from time to time. Mom always said that my 40's would be liberating, and she was right, only I'm not going to wait another 2 years. Carpe Diem, right?
So, here I am. Approaching 38. Faster than anticipated. Also, approaching a weight that I know with 100% accuracy that I will NOT be happy with. My goal? Fix it. Excuses? No more. Are you taking my 20 minutes? If so, it's time to step back. It's mine and I'm taking it back.
I would love for you to join me in taking back YOUR 20.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I like the idea of a blog to help you stay accountable. I lost 55 pounds, six sizes and 10 percent of my body fat, quit smoking when I was 46 years old...so YOU can do it. I accomplished this in six months. It all boils down to what you are eating, when, how much. FOCUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that!! The Blog actually got me through Day 3...my own personal "Self-Sabotage" Day. I knew I was eventually going to have to write about it and I decided that I would rather write something inspiring as opposed to writing my first excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LA..I LOVE this!!!
    I want to join you, and day one pretty much describes me to a Tee!!!
    I wish you all the best and I'm your #1 fan! Let's DO this!
    Mush

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!!! I love having fans! Fans keep me excited and comments give me the energy I need to keep pushing forward. It's been almost 30 days and I've only had 2 rest days. So there's no guilt. I actually look forward to "MY" time!!!

      Delete