Wife. Mom. Sister. Daughter. Best Friend. Fotog. Pranskter. Student. Teacher. Lover of Life.

Wife. Mom. Sister. Daughter. Best Friend. Fotog. Pranskter. Student. Teacher. Lover of Life.
Taking back what's mine. Inspiring those with no time, no energy and/or no desire to exercise. A 365 Photo Blog © LeighAnn Monaghan

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 66 - Truth, Love & Consequences

I'm back on my daily wagon, but, boy, am I feeling the repercussions of eating fast food three times last weekend. My wedding band is tight and I can feel the swelling all over my body - especially in my face...around my eyes and cheeks. If you're a chronic fast food eater, there is no way to sugar coat it. You need to stop. On a monthly basis, we might eat "fast food" three times, with two of those times being pizza from Bosco's or Marco's. This weekend, however, I ate fast food 3 or 4 times. We were going non-stop all weekend and fast food was easy and cheap.

In the past, I would blame it on my busy schedule, however, now, I know that it's not because of a busy schedule. It's a simple lack of preparation on my part. It's not difficult to pack a lunch and a few snacks in a cooler and throw it in the back of the car. It would take less than 10 minutes to prepare lunch and snacks for the entire family, pack it in a cooler and put it in my car. Pure laziness. SMH. I'm paying for it now. I'm hoping that if I drink lots of extra water this week, I can flush out the swelling and get back to feeling normal.

I hit the treadmill again today. Managed 45 minutes before my episode ended. While I was walking, an older gentleman opened the door and just stood there. I watched, curious as to what he was doing. Turns out he was holding the door for an older heavyset lady, who I assumed was his wife. She came into the gym on a motorized wheelchair. My heart broke. Here is this man, who loves his wife so much that he loads her into the car, drives her to the community gym, helps her out of the car and onto her wheelchair, and then helps her squeeze into the gym (it's a tight entrance...but I'll be up there tomorrow to re-arrange the equipment for her). He goes to, what I can imagine, a great extent, just so she can do pull-down exercises while sitting in her wheelchair. You could tell that they had been at this routine for a while because once she was in, he let her go her own way. She did her arm exercises while he did the elliptical. They didn't speak. They didn't smile. Then they left.

I don't want to be that couple. When Charlie and I retire, I want us to be physically healthy. I want to go on cruises and travel the world, not be confined to a wheelchair. I want to believe that 2012 will be my turning point. 300 days to go.

Photo courtesy: www.sodahead.com

4 comments:

  1. this was great. You are so right about the packing your own food to go. I recently purchased a Thirty-one insulated cinch bag to put things in. I need to really start using it for Mike and I. Not only would it save me money but all the yuckiness I feel later. Tastes good going down but not later.

    I have yet to do my 20 but the dogs need a walk and some counter pushups for me.. away i go. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It saves money and grief. How does laziness prevail? Hopefully by bringing awareness to the fact that I can't use "no time" as an excuse, I may re-think the pre-packing.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see your back! Dont be too hard on yourself.. I wont be on my "Catching up" blog later. Now think of it this way... can you imagine how your body would have felt and/or looked if you hadnt started to Take Back Twenty to begin with? So yea your a little swollen and feel like crap(mentally and physically) for your "Lazy" week. But in fact you are back to where you need to be, correct? So Head high, shoulders back and SMILE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be 8 lbs heavier, and maybe even more. I used to gain a couple lbs overnight (water gain) if I ate fast food. After all that junk, I'm down another pound this morning. Go figure.

    It's all about an average. If I eat too many calories in one day, I can simply reduce them for the next 3-4 days and it all evens out. I like that concept.

    ReplyDelete